Content marketing tips for mobile campaigns
Watching the London fireworks on the television this New Year’s eve I was struck by the scene of hoards of revelers filming the extravaganza on their smart phones.
It was no surprise. The analytics firm Flurry in its post Christmas blog post stated least 17.4 million iOS and Android devices were activated on Christmas Day, up from 6.8 million device activations on Christmas 2011.
And while smartphones make up 80% of activations on a typical day, Christmas saw a roughly even split between tablets and phones.
“On this Christmas Day 2012, more iPhones, iPads, Galaxys, Kindle Fires, and more, were activated than on any other day in history,” Flurry said in its blog post.
With that in mind here are the edited highlights of my Google+ hangout with Peter Gough and Lorenzo Vasini from web, touch and mobile specialists, ORM London.
5 top content tips for mobile and tablet marketing campaigns
1. Mobile is a different channel - just porting desktop content to mobile isn’t good enough – you’ve got to think more about the context of use.
2. Condense your emails – you’ve only got about a 30 character subject line – people are getting through them very quickly.
3. Make sure your designs, layouts and content are responsive, fluid and work well on what ever device your consumers are using it on.
4. Don’t direct potential customers to your homepage until you’ve optimised it for mobile and tablet users.
5. Remember mobile is location based, it’s always on, you’re in someones pocket – you can engage with them when they are out and about and can push offers/vouchers to get them into your store.